08 July 2008

the "disaster" from which i currently need rescuing

common sense is not my strong point. i thank my family (both their love and periodic mocking of me) for most of the common sense that i do now possess. so when i saw that my bike lock key was breaking (torn), common sense said i should throw it out immediately (since it had been bending for awhile) and find my spare key. i figured it would be fine for just one more day...

and so on friday beside the grocery store, as i was attempting to unlock my bike, my key broke in the lock. so i walked home. and then walked back again with a screwdriver, paperclips, superglue, the replacement key, and WD-40 (it exists here) with the hope that i could get the piece of lock out. no success. i moved it away from the grocery store (it was locked only to itself thankfully and not to the bike rack) to a more residential area with the assumption that it'd blend in more and no one would be tempted to steal it.

and thus began the search for something to cut the chain of my lock. no success thus far, although i did find a friend to help out. and he managed to pick it up and bring it back to the basement here, for which i am thankful although i'm not entirely sure how i feel about how easy it appears to be for him to have carried off my bike without any sort of key for it or any paperwork for it...(and no one asked anything about it!)

update: as of tuesday night, the lock was cut off and i could once again have my bike back, for which i am thankful.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

This makes me smile, especially because we had a somewhat similar experience a few months ago (except ours involved a lost/misplaced set of keys)....