27 June 2008

searching for a "prins op het witte paard"

"Prins op het witte paard" literally translates as "prince on the white horse." it's the dutch equivalent of "knight in shining armour." i understand it as someone who comes and rescues me. that such a man does not exist (see the movies, Shrek and Enchanted) does not change the fact that i would still like to be swept up into the arms of a "prins op het witte paard" and be rescued from the difficulties and challenges that i often find myself in. it would be nice, too, if he were dutch - as dutch culture, habits, and the language are often areas where i could use some rescuing.

of course i do recognize that my need for rescuing is a bit my own fault. by living in community and in a foreign country (and choosing to be somewhat responsible) i am putting myself in situations where i'm going to face difficulties. so since i don't seem to be leaving the community or this country too quickly, perhaps it is not rescuing that i desire so much as someone simply to be there to help me with the challenges here. it'd be nice to talk about nothing and everything. to have somebody around to laugh at/with me (like over the fact that i've filled in paperwork [in dutch] to start a job next week for which i still have no idea how much i'm to be paid), to encourage me when i'm down, to tell me when i'm being foolish, and sometimes to join me in being foolish. to be there in the morning to wake up next to for the rest of my life. to tell me i'm not crazy to believe that sex really is for marriage while most unmarried people around me including Christians accept sex before/outside of marriage as a normal part of life. and also to rescue me on occasion like when i have a flat tire on my bike or figuring out how to handle my accidental scratching of someone's scooter.

so that's what i'd like. and i've put my request in to God (and am blogging it so that you can commiserate with me, give suggestions and/or applications for my request, and laugh at my foolishness). most of the time i recognize that God continues to provide for me, providing not a mythical knight in shining armour but real live people who love me and care for me. i have great friends both here and back in N. America who listen. who tell me i'm not crazy. who tell me i did the right thing with the accident - and that we can pray that the consequences aren't so bad, but worrying won't help any. and there are even times when i am rescued: a good friend fixed my back tire yesterday and my supervisor found me a part-time job so that it's financially feasible for me to stay here.

so it's fairly obvious that God is helping me with the challenges of life. that doesn't take away some of my desires, especially the desire at certain times to be rescued. but i'm learning, too, to notice that God even listens to that desire - after all, there is something to be said about listening to classical music on a chilly evening in a park and having the gentleman sitting next to you graciously offer you his sweater because you're cold...

1 comment:

brooke sellers said...

yes, it's a good desire. to keep desire awake is dangerous... but necessary for the wholeness of your heart. so don't stuff it.