12 June 2008

more than 24 hours later...

about 26.5 hours after leaving my parents' house, i arrived home in Amsterdam. that's not even including the fact that i didn't leave my house until 17 hours after I was fully packed and ready to go (my mom's prompting for me to check my flight status before leaving produced the surprising discovery that my flight had been cancelled - and i had been bumped to a flight to Washington the next day, although i was still scheduled to fly out of Washington that day! a rather long conversation to a united representative resulted in my still being on a horribly early flight on Tuesday morning but with me getting some free airmiles and reconciling myself to the situation).

i think i'd like to avoid such a crazy long journey in the future but there are two very positive things to say about my trip (besides the joy i have in being back in Amsterdam - as much as it was wonderful to visit friends and family and get to teach, it was more than time to come back home):
1) 26 hours of travelling, including sleeping (or not sleeping) in all manner of places and situations helps a lot with jetlag. by the time i got to Amsterdam, i might have been exhausted but my body no longer had any idea what time it should be and was quite happy to adjust to Amsterdam time.
2) i enjoyed being a tourist in Washington, DC. since i had a 9 hour layover, it was the perfect opportunity to see a great city: the metro is good and the museums and zoo are free [to see pictures, check out facebook]. i might actually try to get another crazy layover there again, just so i can go back :)

1 comment:

TBH said...

Glad to hear you are safely back "home"!