04 January 2007

some things are worth doing poorly

Although this seems like a bit of a strange idea, especially people like me who want to do their best in everything, some things are worth doing poorly. Firstly, by doing poorly a certain thing that is not all that important, it gives me time and energy to do something that is more important. And secondly, there are some things that are so important to do that even if i can´t do them well, it still ought to be done. A blog that Deb connected me to puts it well:

"As G. K. Chesterton once put it, "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." Chesterton of all people was not interested in encouraging bad work. He knew though that the worst work is that which is not done at all and any work, done with heart, soul and prayer has the potential to be good work."
Quoted from the blog, Notes from a Hillside Farm .

and since i tend to be an overachiever, learning that some things are worth doing poorly has been a struggle but a rather significant step in my spiritual growth.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I randomly decided to try getting into blogspot today, and it worked! Actually, better than xanga is working, due to the earthquake in Taiwan last week that damaged the internet cables. I'm happy I could catch up on your life a bit!
This post really hit home. At least one of my teammates and I still need to learn this lesson!