29 July 2020

Aachen and Trier - a memory


I've been cleaning up old files and came across this unpublished post of pictures from a trip to Aachen and Trier - from right before we moved to Lansing. We took the trip to celebrate being together again and to allow me to see a bit more of Europe. Near the end of his university studies, Matthijs spent four weeks in Trier giving tours in the Cathedral. He would mention it every once in awhile, so I was excited about visiting this place in his past. 


We first headed out to Aachen, stopping along the way in Heerlen at a museum containing the remains of a Roman bath that is 2000 years old. In Aachen proper, we got to witness the German response to their win in the quarterfinals. It was impressive, although I have to say I'm glad not to have been there for the last match!

Then we headed to Trier. The following are some of the pictures from that time. I am reminded of the beauty that is so much a part of life in Europe. 






Looking through the pictures, though, it took me awhile to determine the significance of these last two pictures. It's a pretty enough view of the city, but not spectacular. And then I remembered. I'd booked a fairly nice room at a conference center in Trier, but it was a ways away from the train station. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized that it was up a rather large hill. Worse yet, there was no public transportation to get to the top. 


That hill (and the hotel booking) are remembered as one of our more spectacular failures at trip detail planning. I'm so thankful that we've had even more years to practice (6!) and that we've gotten better at it - having a car helps a bit, too :)



No comments: