29 July 2011

Getting to know the neighbours

For a few weeks this summer, I get to take care of the post for Oudezijds 100. On Wednesday, the mail carrier tried to deliver a package but no one was home. So I wrote a note asking them to ring the bell at 102 or 104, where I was pretty sure someone would be home to answer it.

When I came to check the mail today, I saw a note indicating that the package had been delivered - but not to 102/104. Instead, it had been delivered to 112. As it was a business, that made picking up the delivered package a bit simpler. But seeing as this is the Red Light District, most of the businesses are not exactly the respectable sort. Nonetheless, seeing as I felt responsible for the delivery of the package (and there was a clear indication that it had been delivered to the neighbours), I decided to be brave.

And so that's how I ended up this afternoon in a sex shop trying to find a package. As much as I'm all for getting to know one's neighbours, this was the sort of awkward situation I could avoid doing again. However, as there was seen from the balcony last night some suspiciously intimate activity at the neighbours, I'm not so sure I'll be able to do that. I'm really hoping that this isn't a sign that this time living in Amsterdam I might get to know the neighbours a bit better than I really would like to.

No comments: