07 August 2008

every Christian should want to be a universalist...

universalism is defined as: The doctrine or belief that all men will be saved, or made happy, in the future state [taken from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary]. and i think every Christian should want to be a universalist. if you love those around you and believe that Christianity is true, then you should want everyone else to know God the same way that you do. and if you read the Bible closely and understand truly how scandalous God's grace is – and how powerful and mighty He is – then, not only is it possible for God to save everyone, this seems to be what God's scandalous grace would be fit for. those who are so certain about people being apart from God make me nervous. they have missed out on grace and mercy. for if God truly loves all humankind and is truly sovereign and can be seen by everyone (through creation - general revelation is what my tradition calls it) – and the verse from 2 Peter 3:9 (God is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance) is true, then universalism seems like the loving and appropriate choice. and i want that deeply with my whole heart...

and yet, if you read the Bible closely, universalism is not really taught or shown there. instead, there is a proclamation that Jesus is the way, truth, and life – and no one comes to the Father except through him. there is a declaration that people need saving and only God can do that. there is God's holiness, where people who are not (made) worthy cannot approach him. and there is justice for those who have done harm – a justice that honours and gives peace to those who have been hurt (sometimes horrendously) by those to whom justice/punishment is given, and as much as God is sovereign, He will not force himself upon those who do not want Him anywhere near. and there is grace and mercy in all of those things, although the grace and mercy is complicated and even at times painful.

and so as much as i want with my whole heart to be a universalist, when i read the Bible closely and listen to the wisdom of the church fathers who have come before me (and the wisdom of my tradition), i cannot simply choose to be a universalist. i cannot choose to be a universalist while also declaring that all of what is written in the Bible is true - and that Jesus really is the only way. as much as i want with all my heart that everyone (especially those i love) would know God fully both now and forever, i cannot say that they will. instead, i remember the God of the Old Testament who mourned for those who turned away from Him. and i throw myself (and those that i love) upon the justice and mercy of God that is good, even if it is not exactly as i want it to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What’s up Lady? Did you really read God’s WORD? Jesus is the Son of God and the every thing? The Blood of the Lamb? I live in “FEEL GOOD COUNTRY” so you are nothing new. I am in Southern California and I know more artists and actors that you do. However I also know many many really cool Believers of Jesus that are smart hard working lovely people. I know PASTORS that have been used to help change the lives of many thousands of lives for the good. Do you know Calvary Chapel Church with Chuck Smith or Saddleback with Rick Warren really cool and good teaching guys.
I have really seen the work of a living God move in hearts. He will in yours too.

Peace Love and ROCK n Roll
The DON of the OC

Brenda Kronemeijer-Heyink said...

The following is in response to the anonymous comment that precedes it.

I've chosen to post your comment to show that I am open for dialogue, although I am significantly confused at the point of your comment.

If you posted to tell me that you'd like to pray for me, then great! I'm always appreciative of prayers for myself and the community I'm part of.

If you posted to try to challenge my theological understanding, then I'm open for dialogue. But I would suggest you read my own post better, as you seem to assume things that I don't argue - I clearly say that Jesus is the only way to God (that is what the Bible says) but that shouldn't at all prevent us from having a desire that everyone should know God and be saved. I miss how there's anything 'feel good' about that or unbiblical. And how many non-Christians or pastors I might know or be friends with has shaped how I understand these things, but I think only for the better - it has challenged me to both think theologically and pastorally.

You are welcome to continue to dialogue but it would be helpful if you were more clear in your critique. I'm still not exactly sure what your difficulties with my blog entry were. And for future reference, it would help if you began your entry with something other than "what's up Lady?" It comes off as being dismissive and is thus offensive.

Thanks.