27 August 2007

returning to normal life

my thesis is almost finished. i couldn't quite get it done for today. but it is still almost finished - i completed a lot (80 pages in final draft form! and 35 pages in almost final draft!) - and for that i'm thankful.

i'm a bit disappointed that i didn't get it finished but the disappointment is mixed with feeling a satisfaction of having focused all my energy and time on it last week. the feedback i've received on what i've done has been positive - what i've handed in thus far is a good beginning for my ph.d. dissertation (yay!), which i'll start as soon as my thesis is done. and the paperwork in registering for school again wasn't quite as difficult as i thought it would be (and ironically enough it might be cheaper for me to do it this way - even if it means that i pay again for at least part of a year!)

but most of all, i'm so grateful to return to normal life. it has been good to spend so much time in my head - and it was good to try to exercise my brain/intelligence to the utmost of my abilities. but i missed my crazy family. Crystle and Dave Numan were here for awhile and surrounded me with community - but i missed coffee times and sharing in chores and processing what's going on around me and blogging and emailing and hearing others' joys and complaints and practicing my dutch and laughing too loud. academic books and living inside my head are a bit dull compared to the surprises and joy of everyday life in community (just in time to start welcoming new people :)).

so hopefully life will be slightly more balanced again for awhile - and it's a wonderful relief not to have the weight of a far-from-done (and late) thesis hanging over my head.

No comments: