08 April 2020

2 Kings 5 in the time of COVID-19

When I started washing my hands so much that they dried out for the first time in my life, I started pondering 2 Kings 5, especially v. 13 where Naaman's "servants approached and said to him, “Father, if the prophet had commanded you to do something difficult, would you not have done it? How much more, when all he said to you was, ‘Wash, and be clean’?”” 

The following are some of my thoughts: 

If I had been asked to do something hard,
I would have done it with conviction.
Especially if it meant saving someone’s life.
Luther argues that we are not to flee from plague.
We, especially us in ministry, are to ‘remain steadfast before the peril of death.’
Tending the sick would be like tending Christ himself

But instead I am asked to wash my hands again and again.
Singing some silly song so I do it long enough.
And to stay home and stay away from other people.
Where are the heroics in that?
It seems so little.
And even almost cowardly.
As if I’m afraid of illness and death.

Yet if it’s so little,
Why do I chafe under these requirements?
Why do I protest against it so strongly?
Why do I want to turn away in anger, like Naaman in 2 Kings 5?
If I had been commanded something difficult, would I have not done it?
How much more then, when only this little is being asked of me?
Wash, be clean, keep others clean.

Wash and be clean.
Rearrange the way you look at the world.
For Naaman, the command was an invitation.
Humble yourself,
wash yourself in the dirty river of this other country,
follow the seemingly arbitrary commands of this prophet and his God.
Recognize that all your best efforts cannot save you.
God alone does the impossible.

Wash your hands, stay home.
Let go of your plans.
Recognize how little control you have over the future.
Deny yourself
Trusting that God can use this seemingly small effort to save lives.

Naaman returns to the prophet healed.
Deeply thankful, ready to make a great sacrifice.
Except he is not allowed to pay for the gift he received.
A reminder again
that no matter how mighty we are
God does not need our help.

God meets us in our humanity
The gracious gift of a piece of earth so that we can align ourselves with God
While not needing to give up everything in our lives.
An ancient sort of technology.
Allowing Naaman to remain with those he cared about.
While continuing in thankfulness for the gift he received.

Our gifts today are internet, computers, zoom and Netflix,
Keeping us connected to those we love
Allowing us to keep meeting together.
For the request to stay home is hardly easy.
Being human means being in community.
The lack of physical presence
Requires each of us to go a little against who
We are created to be.


Naaman didn’t learn humility in a day.
It started with the quiet voice of a servant girl
And the humility required to listen to her.
It all began with a stranger.
A foreign captive in Naaman’s house.
Who spoke up and was heard
Who brought words of hope
A promise of the impossible

In a time when distancing makes helping hard
When every other could be a potential threat
And even those I love
Are disrupting the order of my life.
How does one keep loving and listening?
When I’m turning in on myself
With barely enough energy left over for me,
How do I care for those who are part of my communities?
my next door neighbors?
Let alone the foreigner
and the potential threat.
This illness that spreads through being connected.
How does my physical distance
Not become emotional and spiritual distance?

But that is not what the servant girl did.
She spoke up.
Naaman listened.
Elisha intervened.
God acted.
And so the impossible happened.

Stay at home. Help others.
It sounds so simple.
Yet, just like with Naaman, it asks so much more of us.
It sounds like nothing heroic,
except to throw my whole life into chaos
Rearranging all of our schedules,
Cancelling all my plans,
Confronting me with how little control I have,
Offering up my whole life to you.

The command has become the gift.
Let go of my efforts.
Trust in those of God.
And look forward to the day when this experience
Is behind us.
When we once again live fully in community.
And this experience is like the dirt that Naaman brought home.
A complicated piece of truth
To remind us of what we ought to be bowing down to.
Not our own control and plans.
But the one who controls all.

No comments: