04 January 2015

A new year

I am deeply thankful for the beginning of a new year. Despite much good happening in 2014, our transition from life in Amsterdam to life in Lansing was harder than I had expected. Last year was hard, and I am glad that it is over.

With the coming of a new year, it feels easier to hope and dream again instead of functioning out of survival mode, which happened a lot this past year. At the same time, it is possible that the growing hope within me has another cause. Perhaps, with each subsequent day of the Christmas season, the audacious hope we find in Christ's coming is being absorbed more and more into my soul. (I think I like this second explanation better, but I'm not sure if I'm trying to find a way to validate my, perhaps excessive, appreciation of the liturgical year!) Yet, whatever the true reason, I am thankful that hope has become more real.

Please join me in praying that others might also know a deep hope, especially those for whom 2014 brought deep sadness and pain, on account of illness, death, and/or spiritual and emotional struggles.

No comments: