25 May 2006

graduation


after five years of Seminary, i've finally graduated. at least with the first degree. the plans are to graduate with the second degree next year (although i would have loved to graduate with both of them at the same time, there's rules against that, so i gave up even trying).

it was a good day. my 'worlds' collided. the academic world of words with at least three syllables, relating to each other super-politely and long conversations about how to parse verbs met the small-town world of bluntness, slightly crass topics of conversation, and dressing down as quickly as possible. exact it's not quite that distinct: my family dresses up well when necessary, is capable of being appropriate during special events (although i wouldn't have been too surprised - nor embarassed - if they had been a bit rowdier during the graduation ceremony), and has lots of thoughtful conversations. and my Sem world has plenty of moments of off-the-wall slightly crass conversations, partying, and caring for one another. and each of them captures part of who i am - someone who loves school and studying, but also loves the fact that i'm from a small town working-class family, full of non-academics: people who make sure that my head is not in the clouds, but are very proud of me for how far i've come.










i am deeply thankful that i could have shared my friends and colleagues with my family and vice-versa. so, yeah, graduation was good - but i've got a few more yet to go, so no point in getting too excited about that. i'd rather get excited about how much God is yet going to teach me about appreciating both of my worlds - and other areas of life from and in which i can grow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't need to get all ecstatic and all of the rest of that, but still, this is a pretty exciting thing. Congratulations! and best wishes for the rest of your studies, and your moving, etc.